[Dtb-talk] A question about preferred book formatting

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 23:34:47 UTC 2010

As Tim has so well put production is a process of making choices. Let
me explain what we have and what we are now delivering:

We have a collection of over 7000 books on cassette masters. These
books, mostly popular reading fiction, were never tone indexed.

When we convert these books to DAISY we digitize the books in
dedicated machines built for that use. We end up with wav audio files.
These files then are imported into Obi where they are split into 10
minute phase segments and have their tape announcements at the
beginning and end of each tape removed. We also add three level one
segments, one of the title and author, one called "About this digital
talking" book which explains the navigation, copyright and so on and
one call "Preliminary pages"  This last section has everything up to
the start of the actual book, things like the book jacket, preface,
etc.. Then we start with what could be thought of as tape one, we call
them parts, and make a new part for each tape in the book. Navigating
forward take you to the start of each new tape. each tape has 10
minute phases with in it.

When we are done we save the resulting DAISY book with the audio in
play back order in MP3 format, We include playlist files for a wide
range of MP3 players such as iPods in the DAISY file sets as well. We
also include a MARC record for each book in the event a library would
need it. In this way the book can be played on non-DAISY devices if
needed.

 From time to time we discover a book where we are able to visually
see the chapter breaks. When this is the case we will provide chapter
navigation but this is very rare. Usually it is either because the
original narrator left and unusually long pause in the reading or we
have a very few tapes that have tone indexing which is simple to detect.

Since starting to record digitally all new books provide full chapter
navigation and when we produce textbooks and other academic materials
we also provide page number navigation as well. The same is the case
with book produced with synthetic narration.

All of this is done with very limited staff, basically myself and one
other person and a group of dedicated volunteers. In the end we will
do about 1000 of the 7000 books and wait for the others to be
requested by someone before producing them. Hence if you go to http://www.guidedogswa.org/library/
  you can request production of a little over 50,000 title of which
only 7000 are from the old tape master collection. We have to
compromise in order to convert the largest number of tapes in a timely
fashion. We also convert tapes for others (http://www.guidedogswa.org/production/
), when we do so we offer them either option but to sit through a
recording to provide full navigation is more expensive.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Gregory Kearney
Manager - Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of Western Australia
61 Kitchener Avenue, PO Box 101
Victoria Park 6979, WA Australia

Telephone: +61 (08) 9311 8202
Telephone: +1 (307) 224-4022 (North America)
Fax: +61 (08) 9361 8696
Toll free: 1800 658 388 (Australia only)
Email: gkearney at gmail.com