[Dtb-talk] A question about preferred book formatting

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 00:43:42 UTC 2010

We are able to offer full text/ full audio on books which we produce
from text files with synthetic narration. Such would be impossible for
the old tape books without adding so much time and effort that we
would never get the work done.

There are tools that will split the narration into phases at pauses in
the narration but this really is not as much help as it would seem to
be. This generally gives so many phase that you end up having to hunt
for the chapter divisions anyway.

I agree that pages should be marked and Obi does do this if you are
recording in it but Dolphin products require that you again, go back
and listen to the whole book again to mark out the page breaks. We
have ask Dolphin to fix this but as of yet they have not.

I should stress that in new recording we always offer chapter and
other navigation these issues only come up when transforming tape to
DAISY.

Gregory Kearney
Manager - Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of Western Australia
61 Kitchener Avenue, PO Box 101
Victoria Park 6979, WA Australia

Telephone: +61 (08) 9311 8202
Telephone: +1 (307) 224-4022 (North America)
Fax: +61 (08) 9361 8696
Toll free: 1800 658 388 (Australia only)
Email: gkearney at gmail.com