[Dtb-talk] USB Suspend Mode

Flint Million fmillion at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 00:08:13 UTC 2010

The USB Suspend mode only activates if the  options.xml file is
present. Therefore, if you are not using a flash drive that has the
options file, the freature will not be active and your battery life
will not be impacted.

I do not yet know if it is the case that removing a flash drive that
had options.xml on it then inserting another leaves the USB suspend
mode disabled, but I will test this. It also may be the case that
options.xml is only parsed when the unit is turned on, so if you
insert a drive later that has options.xml on it, it will not take
effect.

For the curious, the options.xml file is also used for diagnostic
purposes, such as dumping statics to a text file on the drive,
causing the unit to enter technician service mode,  clearing the user
data (bookmarks, remembered positions, etc.) and so on. Therefore
options.xml is largely undocumented except in the library service
manuals.

This feature won't fix all drives, there's already a couple I've found
that just won't owrk even with this feature enabled. Sometimes it
seems the DTBM just can't even get a lock on the drive at all and thus
never even gets to the point where the options.xml file is used.

fm