[Dtb-talk] Clarification on what files the NLS player can handle, MP3 & BookShare

Lynn Evans evans-lynn at comcast.net
Wed Mar 31 16:31:26 UTC 2010

1.   What file formats does the NLS dtbm support?
Answer: The player is able to play three general file types: Files with the extensions of, .3GP (a compressed audio format which the DTBM uses for the memo or notes files), .wav (uncompressed wave files), and .Mp3 (compressed audio files).
for the technically minded, the player is able to play digital-talking books (DTBs) structured in ANSI/NISO Z39.86-2002, DAISY 2.02, or CEA-2003 formats. The player can play audio files stored as AMR-WB+, MPEG I/Layer 3 (MP3) and RIFF WAV format, either as part of a talking book or as stand-alone audio files.

1.   Where do I put MP3 files I want to listen to on my DTB player?
Answer: Create a folder on your thumb drive or a writable cartridge called: audio+podcasts. Note, when creating this folder, use the + sign between audio and podcasts. Additional folders may be created under that main folder. Mp3 files will be played sequentially based on their file names. the NLS dtbm will not announce the names of the files because it does not have a built in text to speech engine.

 One can also place MP3 files on cartridges or flash drives by themselves without the use of the audio+podts.

Book Share on NLS player with conversion to MP3 format.

This takes a bit of work on the user's part.

This discussion has been going on the BARD talk mailing list.

Now I have never done this myself. I have only read others who have done it.

Below are snippets from emails on the thread:

you would need to convert the xml file included in the DAISY download to mp3.

Download the Daisy version. That will come to you in several files. Convert
the XML file.

assume you can copy the Bookshare text to the clipboard. Just paste it into a program like TextAloud, and convert it into mp3 audio.

You can purchase TextAloud at:

http://www.nextup.com