[Dtb-talk] The Physical Cartridges themselves?

Flint Million fmillion at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 17:27:42 UTC 2011

The NLS shipping carts are "write protected" in software. This means
the device rejects any write requests to the flash media. Blank
cartridges which are purchased do not have this enabled and can be
read and written to freely, just like a standard USB flash drive.

It would stand to reason that the NLS library carts either accept
proprietary USB mass storage commands that enable and disable the
write protection, or they may have a physical switch inside the sealed
unit. Either way, even if you were to somehow manage to rewrite the
data on a library cart, as I understand it they are always erased and
reloaded upon return from a patron anyway.

Also note that the library carts generally are 1GB units while the
blank carts I've been seeing are 2GB!