[Dtb-talk] The Physical Cartridges themselves?

Lynn Evans evans-lynn at comcast.net
Sat Jul 30 03:50:27 UTC 2011

Please allow me to chime or clang in on this subject.

The cartridges are indeed flash drives in a different form that is in a
cartridge with a big finger hole on one end and the USB connector on the
other end.

The cable used to connect a blank cartridge to the computer is a standard
USB extension cable. The cable will be able to connect one end to the other
end like a necklace. I have been told these cables can be found in the
Dollar Store for you guessed it a dollar.

NLS did not choose to use flash drives or even smaller flash cards because
of the dexterity issues that some patrons would have with working with small
objects.

The use of a flash card reader along with a flash card is problematic at
best. NLS has recommended during the BARD pilot phrase that flash cards not
be used with the NLS digital players. Some may have reported some success in
their use. Others have reported slow access of data transfer from card to
player causing the player to loose its place in the book.

It is a waist of human resources and librarian's time for them to sit at a
computer all day erasing cartridges and then replacing the files with newly
requested books from NLS patrons.   NLS has contracted with a company to
load books, mass produce books and ship them out to our regional libraries.
Like the audio cassettes the cartridges are kept in their blue shipping
boxes ready to be pulled off the library shelves, affixed with the patron's
address card and mailed out.   What would be the point of fixing the
cartridges so they can not be erased only to have the librarians replace the
books with other books on the same cartridge?