[Dtb-talk] SD cards and the Stream

Flint Million fmillion at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 03:39:47 UTC 2011

I wonder if he is speaking of the card "class" rather than the capacity?

In any case, for interest, here's some background: SD cards come in
"classes" starting at class 2 and, so far as I've seen, going up to
class 10, in increments of 2. The class specifies the minimum write
speed that can be expected of the card, in MB/sec, and is important in
applications like HD video recording and digital cameras that take
several rapid shots in succession. (So, for example, a class 2 card
can be guaranteed to be able to write new data at a minimum of
2MB/sec.)

In either case, the VR Stream does not require any specific class of
card. The class has very little to do with read speed (in theory,
higher class cards can read data faster), and in either case the
Stream is reading data off the card slowly enough for even the oldest
SD cards.

A higher class card will let you copy data to it faster when used with
a card reader, so the benefit is that you can load content faster. Do
note that to take advantage of this, you have to actually be using a
standalone card reader; using the Stream's "card reader" function,
i.e. plugging it into the computer, will not be any faster, since the
Stream itself is limited as to how fast it can write to any SD card
regardless of class.

Flint