[Dtb-talk] voice at the beginning of commercial audio books

Mike Gilmore m_b_gilmore at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 12:32:11 UTC 2011

Along the lines of the voice at the beginning of NLS books talking about how it used to be on cassette. I've noticed that as NLS has been adding unabridged audio books by Brilliance to its catalog, there's a female voice at the beginning reading the title and Library of Congress annotation as well as the closing schpiel of when it was put into digital format. I believe this female voice to be Martha Harmon Pardi. What do you guys think?

Also, along the lines of Brilliance audio--I love the fact that there's a company out there reading the entire book instead of abridging it. I used to hate that in the '90's when I'd purchase a book on tape. That's why I love NLS. Any reason why NLS is putting more commercial books out there than having their readers read them?

The only good audio books that were abridged that I didn't mind purchasing were the Star Trek ones because someone from the show would actually read it. Plus, it was kind of a kick to hear one member of the cast perform their cast mates' characters (e.g., Riker or Crusher do Picard or Worf; Sulu do Spock. Only one that was out of place was Scotty trying to do Wof and Data. You could tell he'd never seen the show because he read Data like he's a robot; so I'm guessing he read the book before they filmed the episode.)

Mike