[Dtb-talk] Copyright challenge

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 13:31:39 UTC 2012

We often hear that the international exchange of Braille and talking books is illegal under either U.S. or international copyright law. I would like to offer this challenge. I would like to know where in copyright law this prohibition on international exchange is found or citations to relevant case law.

I am not speaking about what some lawyer thinks the law say but specific legal prohibitions written into the laws. So I ask here for citations of the relevant laws.

I Suspect that no such provisions exist and that there is in fact no legal prohibition to such an exchange provided the books are provided to legal recipients or organizations.

Sent from my iPhone

Greg Kearney
Association for the Blind of Western Australia