[Dtb-talk] looking for the best technology available

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Feb 15 15:24:24 UTC 2014

I'm not tina, but ...

The Booksense players *do* have some software instability -- the
manufacturer, HIMS Inc., didn't do as good a job at initial bug-squashing on
the latest firmware as I would have liked. However, as you say, the
BookSense XT does have Bluetooth. The latest firmware has some instabilities
in this area, that is, connections don't always persist between sessions,
among other things, and the key-response is somewhat sluggish when using
Bluetooth. This isn't HIMS's fault: it's just part of the Bluetooth protocol
and, in truth, said sluggishness exists on the iPhone also although it isn't
as noticeable.

Tina's reference to Windows in connection with the BookSense refers to its
structure of folders and subfolders to contain the various formats of books
and music and its menu structure. Some people find this more familiar than
use of the Victor Reader Stream which has its own folder structure and menus
for adjusting its parameters which, in my opinion, puts the things one
adjusts most often more immediately at one's fingertips than does the
BookSense line.

Additionally, the Stream, based upon an underlying UNIX system with what is,
in my opinion, better memory management, can play Daisy books of complexity
that would cause a BookSense to choke (run out of memory, stop working
necessitating a reset, etc.).

Bluetooth won't be coming to the stream until a third hardware version comes
out which, I suspect, won't be for some time. But I'm not as convinced of
the utility of Bluetooth for book reading as are many.

HTH!

Mike Freeman