[Dtb-talk] Using BARD Mobile to Play APH Magazines

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Mon Mar 10 18:02:16 UTC 2014

An encrypted book or magazine issue that is to be played by the BARD Mobile app needs to have an authorization object specific to that BARD account.  It can only obtain this by connecting to BARD and downloading it, which it usually does very quickly.  Books and magazine issues distributed directly by network libraries, APH or other agencies are encrypted, and include an authorization object which allows them to be decrypted by any type of player which NLS has authorized.  But that general authorization process does not include BARD Mobile.  Since this issue has been brought to our attention, there will be internal discussions at NLS regarding how to handle this situation.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.