[Dtb-talk] Kindle: can it be used by the blind?

Mike Gilmore m_b_gilmore at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 20 20:22:05 UTC 2014

I must start out by saying I love my Stream.  However, it's kind of disappointing that it doesn't support the ebook format of amazon.com.  And, let's face it: some books may never go up on bookshare or it may take awhile for them to go up there or perhaps audible won't record them or NLS.
Has anyone out there used a Kindle?  I've heard that it has a voice on it that'll read the book and I was wondering is the machine easy to use for the blind? If it's plugged into a computer can it be operated with a screen reader and have the book read in, for example, Microsoft Word?

Or, alternatively, can ebook versions of novels, etc., be purchased from amazon and downloaded onto a computer and be read in JAWS or Openbook?

Thanks.

Mike