[Electronics-talk] wi fi radios

James Aldrich jkaldrich at qwest.net
Sun Dec 21 21:13:20 UTC 2008

Hello Margo and list,

First let's keep the record straight!  XM and Sirius Satellite Radio are now
one company known as Sirius XM Radio.  Both platforms are still in place.
The XM platform requires a south facing window.  The Sirius platform
requires a window facing east!  In my area, the XM signal is much better and
more consistent than the Sirius signal.  Sirius Radio use to admonish its
subscribers to put up an outdoor antenna.  This never has been necessary
with XM in my area.  Some larger cities have repeaters available which
repeat the original satellite radio signal thus satellite signals may
penetrate high rise buildings easily when this is the case.  If not, the
south window for XM or the East Window for the Sirius Platform cannot be too
close to a roof, awning or other overhead structures which could block a
satellite signal.  The only way this person would know whether it works or
not with either platform is actually try a radio.  Most places will allow
one to try a radio for thirty days before it is returned for refund.  I
would order from one of the online stores which specializes in Satellite
Radio rather than go through the local chain store.

I don't know of any accessible on line Wy Fi radios.  they are out there but
I don't see how a totally blind person could operate one.  If this person
wishes to get online radio, they might consider a netbook which can be
obtained for $300 to $400.  I recommend the System Access Mobile Network,
http://www.serotek.com
or Bill Sparks online service at
http://www.billsparks.org
Perhaps an accessible online radio which pick up satellite radio channels on
line may be available but I wouldn't know for certain when that may happen!
Unless you have vision or your friend can see a menu, I don't know of any
accessible online radios at this time!

Jim Aldrich