[Electronics-talk] Opinions on Sony digital voice recorders

priscilla priscillagarces1987 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 30 21:00:51 UTC 2009

Hi Jeff,
I currently have an old soni recorder which I bought 4 years ago, it is an
ICD-p210 series model
well, the beeps are very good in activating the controls, but that's about
all it does in order to alert you to the things you can do.
its long and slim with a small screen.
 also, it only gives me 15 hours of recording but it has to be set on LP
mode which is crap because I can hardly understand a word if I record
lectures in that setting.
If I set it on HQ it only records for 3 hours which is 1 lecture, and the
software called voice editor is not that accessible because it keeps
crashing on me all the time and you have to install it in order to download
the files on your computer because it does not use MP3 or Windows media, it
uses its proprietary format of DVF which I think means digital voice format
something like that.
I do not like the software of the device at all, although the recorder is
good, it is not that accessible except for the beeps, but if you need to
know the date and time, it is not going to help you much because someone has
to read the menus if you need to use the settings.
+ I can only record 1 lecture on the HQ setting which to me is pointless
because I can't download the recordings to my computer.
This is why I consider buying an Olympus recorder that talks because I need
accessible software that uses windows media for lectures and I have to have
one especially if I need to attend very long meetings because 3 hours is not
enough.
+ the Olympus recorder uses rechargeable batteries which is a very big help
and you do not need to spend money on buying batteries.
although there is a sonic IC recorder at Maxiaids.com if you want to get it.
it is very accessible, but best buy is cheaper, that's why I consider the
Olympus series better because of the better quality of sound in my opinion.
so which Olympus model will you recommend?
thank you very much.

Priscilla