[Electronics-talk] Passing this along.

Baracco, Andrew W Andrew.Baracco at va.gov
Tue Aug 4 16:15:42 UTC 2009

FYI!

I know nothing more about this than what is posted below.
Andy

On behalf of Chris Cook and everyone at DICE Electronics, I am pleased
to pass along this bulletin about the talking HD radio.

_____

Make the move to Vision Free for HD Radio

Discover the benefits of using a voice response HD Radio when listening
to the Radio Reading Service

DICE Electronics is proud to announce the all new Vision Free HD Radio
with Radio Reading Service capability*. A limited quantity of iTR-100A's
should be available for purchase this September as dedicated providers
of Radio Reading Service DICE desires to make sure you had the first
opportunity to reserve your today. Please take a moment to fill out the
survey so we can make sure we are doing our best to provide you with
timely information based on your interest in this exciting new product.

Click on this link - Vision
<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=3ixHL6bib3SDgXEKcYbciA_3d_3d
<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=3ixHL6bib3SDgXEKcYbciA_3d_3d
Free Market Survey

DICE received the prestigious Wonder Vision Award for developing the
world's first accessible HD radio (iTR-100A). The award was presented by
Stevie Wonder and Michael May at the 2009 International Consumer
Electronics Show.

The accessible radio is based on the already popular DICE iTR-100
tabletop HD Radio, with special enhancements that provide a user
friendly interface for visually impaired through enhancements with voice
prompts and audible feedback to simplify the operation. This result of
our cooperative development with iBiquity Digital (HD Radio) and IAAIS
producing a receiver that meets many of the guidelines developed by
IAAIS Standards for Accessible Radios (StAR).

A key feature of accessibility is that the radio must speak. When
powered on, it must recite what is on the display, as well as which
functions it is performing. The buttons, knobs, and other controls must
be discernable by touch, and the documentation must be accessible as
well.

Dice Electronics demonstrated their prototype radio at International CES
and at the IAAIS Conference in Cincinnati. The radio includes all
accessibility features and will operate on the new HD Radio Conditional
Access Radio Reading Service and an expected to retail of $199.00.

In addition, the Dice HD Radio includes a conditional access system that
allows print-disabled listeners to hear their local radio reading
service.
The advanced technology is already capable of supporting the upcoming HD
Radio based digital Radio Reading Service.

"There are over one million blind people in the United States, and many
of them are tech savvy, and want access to the latest technology," said
DICE CEO Laszlo Barabas. "Unfortunately, there aren't many manufacturers
who consider developing products for them. We, at DICE, are proud to be
among the distinguished few."

Radio Reading Services provided by many NPR stations offer spoken text
from hundreds of daily print publications, including various magazines
and newspapers for the visually impaired. Analog technology used today
offers less than desirable audio quality and requires a dedicated
receiver.

With the DICE iTR-100A, listeners will enjoy not only the superior audio
quality of the HD Radio based Reading Service, but will have access to
available HD-2 and HD-3 content broadcasted by the local radio stations.

Please contact Chris Cook of Dice Electronics for questions related to
the Vision Free HD Radio

Chris Cook

DICE Electronics

2650 Gundry Ave