[Electronics-talk] Wow! $10 MP3 Player Really Is Accessible

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Thu Dec 10 23:15:22 UTC 2009

Hi Sandra,

To install a AAA battery, pull off the protective cap on the bottom of the
player to expose the USB connector, then push downward on the small ridges
on the back of the player to remove the battery compartment cover.  Insert
the battery with the flat part (minus side) against the small spring at the
top of the compartment, and push on the cover and protective cap.  To
connect the player to a USB port, remove the protective cap and either plug
the player directly into a USB port on your PC or use the supplied cable.
When the player is plugged into a USB port for the first time, you will be
prompted to install the pre-loaded Coby Media Manager software, which is not
really necessary for transferring folders and files.  You can use standard
Windows Copy and Paste commands to transfer selected files and folders to
the player.  Just navigate to the main folder (usually My Music) containing
your MP3 or WMA folders and files , select the ones you want to transfer to
the player, and copy them to the clipboard.  Then highlight the player under
My Computer, and paste in the selected folders or files.  Be sure to select
the Safely Remove Hardware icon from the System Tray before you unplug the
player from the USB port.  Hold down the Play/Pause button (second button
from top) for 5 seconds, and the first track will begin playing.  Press the
Play/Pause button repeatedly to toggle between play and pause modes.  Press
the Skip Forward (top button) or Skip Backward (third button down) to skip
to the next or previous track, respectively, or hold them down to scan
rapidly forward or backward.  When you are finished listening, hold down the
Play/Pause button for 5 seconds to turn off the player.  Adjust the volume
to your liking with the Up and Down Volume buttons (fourth and fifth buttons
down, respectively).  If the player shuts off by itself during playback, the
battery is weak and needs to be replaced.  Use only a fresh alkaline or
rechargeable AAA battery.  On top of the player next to the earphone jack is
a small tab for attaching a key chain or lanyard.  For best sound quality,
replace the supplied earbuds with a better pair from Sony, Sennheiser or
Buds, which typically cost less than $20.  Happy listening!

Gerald