[Electronics-talk] Talking Microwave from ILA Availability

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 22 07:01:35 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

    I guess Santa wasn't happy with us about something. One chunk of coal we
found in our "Christmas stalking" was that our microwave decided to go north
leaving us to cook the old fashion way until it can be replaced. We bought
the Hamilton Beach talking Microwave a few years ago when it came out after
two other microwaves failed. We owned a Kenmore Microwave for quite a while.
It only required the occasional Sears PMA to keep it in ship shape but it
too eventually gave up the ghost.

    When we purchased the Hamm Beach it had to be special ordered as
Best-Buy did not keep it in stock and the other models they had were as
inaccessible as they come. Wanting to get some leads on accessible
microwaves I check the NFB'S Accessible Home Showcase for suggested
microwave ovens usable by a blind but only saw the Hamilton Beach Talking
Microwave listed. Independent Living Aids has carried a talking microwave
for quite a while but I didn't see it listed in our list of accessible
house-hold appliances. If anyone can tell me whether that particular talking
microwave is still available from ILA or can put us on to other models
usable by a blind person we'll appreciate that very much.

    Best wishes from Mary and myself for a merry Christmas and a wonderful
2010.

Peter Donahue

"Will you come and awake our lost land from its slumber
      And her fetters we'll break, links that long are encumbered.
      And the air will resound with hosannas to greet you
      On the shore will be found gallant Irishmen to greet you."
Will You Come to the Bower
Traditional Irish Folk Song