[Electronics-talk] turning on SAP

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sat Feb 7 21:18:52 UTC 2009

SAP stands for Secondary Audio Program and is a subchannel used to carry
foreign language or descriptive audio in addition to the regular soundtrack.
All stereo TV's, DVR's and DTV converter boxes  have built-in SAP decoders,
which can often be activated by a dedicated button on the remote control.
However, if the set is connected to a cable system  via a converter box,
then the SAP subchannel is usually accessible only through a series of
on-screen menus that may require sighted assistance to navigate.

Gerald