[Electronics-talk] Digital TV Options for TV Radios

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Fri Feb 20 18:16:49 UTC 2009

Every DTV converter box I have seen has composite A/V jacks on the rear
ppanel.  However, you cannot simply connect the converter box to an audio
only device like a wireless FM transmitter without first going through the
set-up procedure which requires connection to a TV set and sighted
assistance to navigate through the set-up menus.  Set-up involves selecting
language and time zone and scanning for available digital channels. But
there's another fly in the ointment.  Using one of these boxes requires
frequent antenna reorientation for optimum reception.  For this reason, most
DTV converter boxes have an on-screen signal strength meter. And obviously,
if the antenna has to be adjusted frequently, trying to listen to audio in
another room using a portable radio would not be practical.   And activating
the SAP channel may also require accessing an onscreen menu option.  So it
would be very difficult to use one of these boxes unless it is connected to
a TV.

Gerald