[Electronics-talk] Digital TV options for TV radios

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Fri Feb 20 21:38:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 03:25:21PM -0500, Gerald Levy wrote:

> The reason there's no portable radio with a built-in DTV tuner lies in
> the nature of digital broadcasting.  Unlike analog signals which can
> still be heard as you move around, albeit with occasional distortion,
> digital signals are "all or nothing".  So if the signal is too weak, you
> won't hear any sound at all.

[putting on my telecommunications hat/computer science hat]

does anyone know why this is so?

I understand that we're now talking about a bitstream, as apposed to
an analog signal, but all we're really talking about is over the air
UDP.  Why wouldn't be possible to solve this problem the same way its
solve for streaming video, which are generally done over UDP.

Anyone?

Jim