[Electronics-talk] Digital TV Transition

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Thu Jan 29 21:36:20 UTC 2009

For the benefit of other listers who want more information about the digital
TV transition on Feb. 17, visit the web site below  for a list of FAQs.
Unfortunately, the FCC has exhausted its supply of $40  coupons to offset
the cost of purchasing DTV converter boxes to use with old analog TV sets.
There is now a waiting list of more than three million households for these
coupons, and it is uncertain whether Congress will allocate additional
funding for this program or extend the Feb. 17 transition deadline. Needless
to say, many blind consumers may well find themselves in the dark on Feb. 18
(no pun intended). I have cable TV myself, so I won't be affected.  But
there are undoubtedly thousands of other blind consumers  who rely on
inexpensive analog TV's  or portable radios with built-in TV bands as their
only means of listening to TV, and they are going to be in for a very
unpleasant surprise in a few weeks.

http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html

Gerald