[Electronics-talk] [electronics-talk] window air fconditioner

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Tue Jun 9 17:55:40 UTC 2009

As long as we're on the subject of window air conditioners with summer
rapidly approaching, does anyone still offer a 5000 to 6000 BTU model that
uses mechanical controls?  I would like to replace my 25-year old unit, but
all the models I've seen have flat membrane keypad controls  like a
microwave oven whose functions are impossible to navigate by touch and LCD
displays which make it impossible to set the thermostat without sighted
help.  Plus, they seem to be pretty flimsy in construction , which means
they won't last very long.  Some models even have cabinets made of plastic
instead of rugged galvanized steel.  At least my current unit is built like
a tank, and has rotary knobs that make it a snap to adjust the thermostat
and cooling speeds.

Gerald