[Electronics-talk] Purpose of List

Christopher Chaltain cchaltain at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 25 01:36:21 UTC 2009

I haven't been following the thread on cell phones on this list, but I
had always assumed this list was for the discussion of the accessibility
of "off the shelf" electronic equipment. Therefore, I would have thought
phones that have some speech or other accessibility features built in
would be fair game (such as the LG phones) but that cell phones which
are made accessible through some accessibility technology, such as Talks
or Mobile Speak would be off limits. I'd think the latest iPhone should
be off limits, but I'm not sure how you'd word the list description to
make such a fine distinction. I'd suggest updating the description to
cover off the shelf accessible cell phones but not cell phones that
require the addition of some accessibility technology. Of course, we
should always be flexible and point people to other lists when they
stray off topic. Pretty much exactly what David has been doing all along.

For my part, I think David does a fine job moderating the list, and I
say that even after he's rightly chastised me on more than one occasion
for straying off topic. IMHO, attacks on him personally are classless,
and I'm impressed with the way he's chosen to just ignore those attacks.
I'm always a bit surprised, when no matter what list I'm on, the
moderator gets attacked for doing the job of moderating his own list.
It's too bad more people don't just shrug off the reminders from the
moderator and just move on trying to do a better job of sticking on
topic and following the lists guidelines.