[Electronics-talk] massive file conversion

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Thu Mar 5 02:39:25 UTC 2009

Howdy,

I'm pretty sure the only way to do this is to use iTunes.  The itunes
file format is in a proprietary format.

The basic steps are...

1) connect the external disk to a windows or mac machine with iTunes on it.

2) Bring up iTunes.  Check the import settings to make sure that the
   type of newly imported file is mp3, the bit rate is set to 192,
   and that iTunes is not set to copy music to the iTunes folder.

3) Import the music from your external hard disks into iTunes.

4) Select the music you just imported.  I'd sort the music by "add time",
   so you can easily pick off the new files you've just added.

5) You can type shift+f10 (on windows, not sure about a mac) and
   select the menu item that says something like "convert to mp3"

   note that this will create new files.  If you don't have enough
   disk space for this, you'll have to select small chunks, convert
   them to mp3s, delete the old aac files, rinse and repeat.

These are pretty bare instructions and I'm happy to answer more
questions.

Hope this helps,

Jim