[Electronics-talk] Tom Boy

Debbi Williamson debbi107 at atlanticbb.net
Fri Nov 20 11:45:12 UTC 2009

David, here is the information from Maxiaids.  I am probably wrong to post
anything about it here but, I just thought someone might know about it?
Product Description

Features
  . DAISY and MP3 audio player
  . Voice recorder and radio
  . Playback saved text documents with text-to-speech
  . Electronic alarm reminders, time and date
  . Includes USB & power cables, earphones and case

Tomboy is a powerful DAISY and MP3 player, text-to-speech document player,
voice recorder, radio and electronic calendar - all in one compact unit!
It's portable, versatile and is the perfect multi-function device for the
blind, both at home and on the go.

Listen to music on the radio or download your favorite books or music from
your computer and listen to them wherever you go. The document player also
gives you the ability to listen to your saved text files, including Word
documents and text and html files. Plus, the voice recording function is
great for school classes/lectures, business conferences or recording daily
reminders and the electronic calendar lets you set appointment alarms.

The lightweight, slimline Tomboy fits easily in a purse, backpack or pocket.
The included sturdy, stylish black leather case with snap closure and
built-in belt clip allows you to keep your Tomboy safe and always at your
fingertips. Also includes internal rechargeable battery, power supply, USB
cable, stereo earphones. 2-Year Manufacturer's Limited Warranty. Measures
5-1/4" Long x 2-1/4" Wide x 5/8" Thick. Weight: 3.6 ounces.

MAIN FEATURES:
- DAISY Player: supports all DAISY functions (navigation, time jump
intervals, bookshelf, bookmarks, variable speed playback, etc.)
- MP3 Player: plays audio files in wav (PCM/IMA ADPCM 4.1), aac and MP3
files. Play a single file, the files in order as they are saved, in random
order, and all of them in a loop.
- Document Player: reads Word documents, text tiles and html files with
internal TTS (text-to-speech)
- Recorder: built-in microphone for recording. Create your own file
structure (up to 9 folders); place your new recording at the desired point
among saved files (ex. for personal recorded alphabetical address book)
- Radio: scan to find your favorite radio stations and bookmark up to 9
stations for easy accessibility
- Agenda/Time/Date: set your daily, weekly, monthly or yearly
alarms/appointment reminders and add a note to each reminder. Access time
and date information on demand.

TECHNICAL DATA:
- Easy navigation with 4 cursor keys and 10-digit keypad
- Clear, high quality speech output
- Automatic shut-off function saves power
- Earphone jack
- Built-in speaker and microphone
- Jack for external microphone (external microphone not included)
- USB port
- Built-in rechargeable battery providing 12 hrs playtime
- Slot for SD and SDHC cards
- Integrated audio user manual