[Electronics-talk] [Bulk] Re: Digital Talking Book Players

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Fri Oct 16 21:16:55 UTC 2009

I will say that the booksense has it all over the stream when it comes
to recording.

The booksense will record to mp3 or wav files, while the stream
recores to something called AWR, which you then need to convert to
mp3.

The booksense can read doc files, and play unprotected AAC files, which
are the files that come from the iTunes store.  I would know say that
the booksense works with itunes.  For example, iTunes does not provide
a method for syncing music to the booksense.

The stream will not play aac files today, but I suspect that
functionality is coming (total speculation)  However, itunes can
easily convert AAC files to mp3.

I think the stream is a more reliable device for what it does.

The booksense's form factor, ability to play AAC files, ability to
read DOC/DOCX files, ability to record to mp3 are all points it the
booksense's favor.  Also, if you buy the more expensive XT version,
you can use bluetooth headphones, onboard memory, and the FM radio.

I've never found the onboard memory all that useful on my booksense.
I just use a media card.

The bluetooth headset idea is nice, but it cuts your battery life by
close to 40%.

The radio is cool, but it's hard for me to justify paying the extra
$100.00 for it.

Hope this is all helpful :)

Jim