[Electronics-talk] sprint phone accessility

aleeha dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 11:54:13 UTC 2010

Thanks so much everyone for all the information.  Once I get off
my parents' contract, I will definitely be switching to Verizon.

appliances"<electronics-talk at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:49:11 -0500
>Subject: Re: [Electronics-talk] sprint phone accessility

>To try to answer the original question, there are a number of
accessible phones that are available through Sprint.  A number of
the Windows Mobile phones are
>accessible with the addition of a Windows Mobile screen reader.
A number of these are made by HTC, but there are several other
brands as well.  These phones
>are more expensive and the screen reader is adds more to the
cost.  Versions of these same phones are also available through
Verizon although the models are
>sometimes different.

>There are, or at least were a couple of LG phones available
through Sprint that have built in speech for most but not all
functions.  The LG Rumor 2 is one such
>phone, and I believe the LG Lotus also has this capability.
There are also corresponding LG phones available through Verizon
which are, as far as I know,
>approximately the same with respect to accessibility.  Samsung
has made phones with some speech capability in the past as well.
These phones seem to come and
>go, so one has to check.  Phones such as the Rumor 2 don't have a
big accessibility sign on them so it is not always apparent to a
sales person what you might be
>talking about.  Also, most phones now allow voice input, and
often they think that's what you need.  The LG Rumor 2, for
example, and some other LG phones,
>have something called "Voice Guide" which is different than
"Voice Command."  Voice Guide causes some menus to speak and
gives you access to call history,
>battery and signal levels and such.

>I am using an HTC Snap S511 with Mobile Speak through Sprint and
it works pretty well.  I also used the LG Fusik through Sprint
some time back and it provided
>some accessibility but no access to text messages.  The LG Rumor
2 is said to allow the reading of text messages although I have
not had much experience with
>that aspect, but it definitely does tell you which characters are
being entered when you type data into a text field.  Like any of
these "pretty accessible" phones, it is
>frustrating when you wander into an area of the phone that is not
accessible, sometimes by accident.  These phones don't allow
access to e-mail or web browsing.
>The Windows Mobile phones allow very complete access including
web browsing and e-mail and of course text messages.  Like any of
the fancier phones, though,
>they have to be reset sometimes.  Adding a screen reader probably
makes this a bigger problem, but my kids both have phones without
screen readers and have to
>reset them so some of this is simply due to the complexity of
some of these newer phones and companies not debugging as well as
they might.  Some of the more
>complex phones require that you have a data plan, too, and this
can be expensive.  While requiring a data plan might be a way for
the phone companies to get you
>to buy more of their services, these phones are sometimes updated
via the wev and lose a lot of their usefulness without a plan.

>Best regards,

>Steve Jacobson

>On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:00:47 -0700, davidw wrote:

>>Tom,

>>I agree with you on the topic of Sprint.  As soon as my contract
is up I'm
>>switching.

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/electronics-talk_nfbnet.org
/tevans2003