[Electronics-talk] needto share

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 14:46:52 UTC 2010

Don,

I haven't been following this thread, and I can't tell what's already been
discussed, since you didn't include any of the previous messages in your
response. I'll take a wild guess though.

I think two things go into whether a screen reader, such as Talks or Mobile
Speak, will be developed for a certain phone. The first is whether the
operating system on that phone will be robust enough to support a screen
reader. Similarly, the phone will also have to have the capacity and storage
power to run a screen reader and a software speech synthesizer. Phones
running the Symbian based Series 60 operating system and the Windows Mobile
operating system will be such phones. These are obviously high end smart
phones.

The second is whether Nuance and Code Factory feel it's in their financial
interest to support potential phones. For example, Nuance doesn't support
any phones running Series 60 except for Nokia phones. For whatever reason,
they've chosen not to support other brands of phones that also run Series
60. Remember that Nuance and code Factory are in this to make money and
unlike the phone manufacturers and carriers, they're under no legal
obligations to make any particular phone accessible.

--
Christopher
chaltain at gmail.com