[Electronics-talk] Accessible Microwave Ovens

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Wed Oct 27 04:38:32 UTC 2010

Hi Tom,

Mary and I are both blind and had the Sunbeam which can be found for around
$100 ionline (check blindbargains.com), or more from some accessibility type
stores.  It worked marginally well and many functions did speak, though as
happens a lot, they stopped short of making the whole thing speak.

We would still use it, except my daughter burned it up trying to melt wax in
it.  So, I don't recommend it for candle making. (smile.

We pretty much get along by making our own markings for the flat panel
models.  The one we have now allows me to push 1 button for up to 10 times
with an increment of 30 seconds each.  This results in hi power for up to 5
minutes.  I get along just fine with that.  We did some frozen soup, today
and Mary set it for the proper times to stop and stir.  Either way the soup
would have gotten hot. (smile(  The point is that with some sticky dots or
dymo tape and a little sighted assistance most any microwave can be made
accessible and, to me, the Neanderthal microwaver, do just as well to heat
leftover spaghetti.

If you intend to do some precision cooking, you could even do that with our
microwave and using Mary's marks.  You can thaw, do low power stuff and all
that.  I simply don't like to do regular cooking with the microwave.  I like
the stove for that.  To me the microwave is for reheating already cooked
stuff.  2 exceptions are bacon and baked potatoes.  With bacon it is fast
and cleanup is much easier.  Baked potatoes are much faster, though not as
good as oven baked potato's.

I say by the cheapest oven with the features and power that you want and
mark it yourself.  Much easier, unless you can't find someone to help mark
it.  Usually I can push enough of those touch pad things to get it to come
on, eventually even when it isn't marked.  Unlike my sighted daughter, I
haven't blown up any microwaves, yet.  We use a scanner to read the
instructions.

Hope this is helpful.

Best Regards,

Fred