[Electronics-talk] on screen menues

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Aug 15 13:46:18 UTC 2011

Evelyn,

There are no magic answers to this problem yet, and it frustrates the heck out of me being one who has always
enjoyed stereo equipment.  I have had to access some menus as a result and here are a couple of thoughts.

First, you will need some time with someone who can read the display.  With a little luck, though, that time can be
turned into making the device mostly useable.  Get a sense of how the menus work.  If there is a menu button, does it
start in the same place?  How do you leave the menus without making a change, in other words, what is the
EXCCAPE key.  This is sometimes done by pressing the Menu button a second time, for example.  If it doesn't start at
the same place every time, see if it starts at the same place if you turn the tuner off and then on.  If it always
remembers where you were rather than starting at the same place, this can be a blessing and a curse, but finding out
how to get back to a known place is an important part of the process.

See if menus work any differently with the remote rather than with the buttons on the tuner, assuming you can use
menus in more than one way.  Whether or not the manual says this, on occasion, you can jump to a menu item on a
remote by using numbers on the keypad of the remote rather than the arrow keys.  It is possible that this could get you
to a known starting position or that it might get you where you need to know more quickly.

I would recomment making a braill list of the menu items.  It is possible there might be menu sections you won't need,
but I usually find it helpful to at least no what they are.

While this all sounds complicated, and it can be, you are likely going to find that there are only certain things that you
access regularly, and you may get to feeling pretty comfortable about getting to them.  I have found that some things
like setting memories is possible, but I do it only often enough to require that I read my notes.

Finally, some equipment equipment can be connected to computers now.  It might be worth seeing if that buys you
anything.  I hope you can get it to work, as it sounds like a fun piece of equipment.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson