[Electronics-talk] nvda screen reader

David Hertweck david.hertweck at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 4 02:45:38 UTC 2011

Has any one out there used the free windows screen reader NVDA.  I just down
loaded it, and I have been playing with it for the last 2 days.  The speech
could be a little better but it is quite impressive as to the level of
accessability it gives.
It comes with a talking installer.  Two types, one for installing it on a
computer and the other for a portable installation, that is installing on a
thumb drive that can be used on any computer.
Having a little vision that is I can see objects on the screen but can not
read them NVDA reads what is under the mouse thus making the mouse usable
for me.

NVDA uses a lot of the same key commands as JAWS so it is a quite familiar
interface.

For an open source free screen reader I highly recommend giving it a try.
For some applications it gives better access than JAWS.
So far I have tried it with the following and it gives super accessability.
Windows XP standered windows like control pannal and explorer
Office aplications word / XL ...
Outlook.
Internet explora lots of different web pages
Visual steudio 6
Dos prompt and python
My micro processor IDE code warrior
Winzip