[Electronics-talk] Purchasing Adaptive Equipment

James Aldrich jajkaldrich at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 16:26:59 UTC 2011

Hi all!

Montana and Wyoming have specific state programs which can be utilized for
purchasing adaptive equipment!

I believe a few things need to be said about adaptive equipment!  Shop
around before you purchase especially when one has more available today than
at any time in the past!  Of course, there is the specific adaptive products
for the blind.  Yet!  There are others which can work right out of the box!
The I products as Iphone, Ipod and Ipad come to mind!  More on these later!
We unfortunately are paying much too much for out of date technology when
purchasing any of the blindness notetakers!  Some years ago, I bought a
Voice Sense!  I'm happy with it for the most part for what I use it for!
Now that I have high speed internet from my cable company, I cannot use my
Voice Sense online.  My modem will allow most devices to connect with either
TKIP or AES connections.  That is all I'll say about this specifically but
every PC in my house, my ipod and Iphone connect fine with my present
router.  Even my BPP and my Wife's Plextalk Pocket connect fine with my
router.  This is not so with my Voice Sense!  I don't believe any of these
$6000 blindness notetakers will work with my present high speed cable
connection!  I feel fortunate I don't have all this money tied up in
something I can no longer use online.  I brought this up with my cable
company and they thought I was from outer space somehow!  One can pay
considerably less for a bluetooth braille display which connects with
bluetooth with Ipod and IPhone.  I'm finding I can do Email much easier on
my Ipod or Iphone than I can the VS.  Perhaps one day, I'll get that
refreshabraille from APH but this is considerably less than the notetaker.
I can get material onto my notetaker via USb which is fine but I may as well
have a Braille and Speak which I also liked when I had one!  So when you get
anything else, ask questions before you purchase!  Braille and speech are
coming into their own on more and more devices especially I products and
Android platform.  For now, I won't buy any blindness notetaker at any price
unless it connects with most modern day internet protocols.  I visited some
friends recently!  They had no security on their router so they could
accommodate their blindness notetakers.  Mine worked reasonably well but I
thought it was ashamed they had to dum down what was available to them.  We
use the same internet provider.  My wife and I have moved on and left our
notetakers behind!  It is a shame our state services pay for this over
priced out of date stuff!

For whatever it is worth!

Jim