[Electronics-talk] I-phone users

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Sun Oct 30 22:55:23 UTC 2011

I'm not sure I'm understanding the direction of this thread yet, but...

As of IOS 5 which is the latest version of the iphone's
operating system, you can tripple tap the home button and the phone
will start talking to you without this feature needing to be turned
on.  However, this only works when you're setting up the phone.  So,
if someone else sets up your phone and then gives it to you, you'll
need sighted assistance to turn on tripple click home and voiceover
directly on the phone.

Finally, you can, and have always been able to, turn on voiceover by
connecting your phone to iTunes, and turning on voiceover there.  Look
on the device summary screen under Universal Access.

For new iphone users you should be able to get voiceover up and
running on your own, but you need to do it early.  Don't let someone
else set up your phone, do that part yourself.

Take out your iPhone, turn it on, wait about 15 seconds, then tripple
tap the round key on the front of the phone (called the home button.)
Voice over should start talking.

Hope this helps,

Jim