[Electronics-talk] tv's

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 19:35:54 UTC 2012

My understanding of this thread is that you're screwed if you're a blind
TV watcher in the US because:
* Americans aren't as creative as they used to be.
* American corporations put profit ahead of solving public problems,
unlike corporations elsewhere in the world.
* More and more TV's are coming from Chinese companies now, who don't
care about American consumers and who don't care about making accessible
products.

Note that I don't agree with any of the above, and I'd rather not see
such political and unfounded statements made on a list intended to talk
about the accessibility of consumer electronics, although I understand
everyone has an opinion and the right to voice it. I also don't agree
with the implication that we're living in a time that's so bleak or
hopeless for the blind TV watcher. Technology and legislation is in
place now where we could see a dramatic increase in the accessibility of
smart TV's and advanced set top boxes. Of course, we won't see these
improvements if we just assume that it's hopeless and don't even try.