[Electronics-talk] Looking for an accessible android phone

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 13 22:56:28 UTC 2012

Motorola's Photon Q arrives Sunday at Sprint
New smartphone features Qwerty keyboard for 4G LTE
By
Matt Hamblen
August 13, 2012 04:41 PM ET
#disqus_thread
 .
Motorola Photon Q
The Motorola Photon Q features a slide-out Qwerty keyboard and a 4.3-in.
touchscreen display.

Computerworld - Sprint
today announced
 it will sell the Motorola Photon Q smartphone for $199.99 and a two-year
service plan starting on Sunday.

The Photon Q has a 4.3-in. touchscreen display with a slide-out five-row
Qwerty keyboard. It runs on a 1.5GHz dual-core processor and Android 4.0.4.
Sprint
made it available for pre-order today online.

The Photon Q is the largest smartphone screen available on a 4G LTE network,
which Sprint launched in 15 cities on July 15. The smartphone's other
features
include an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera and an HD front-facing camera.
Because it runs Ice Cream Sandwich, it comes with Android Beam and uses Near
Field
Communication for sharing data.

The display offers ColorBoost technology for more vivid images. It is also
scratch resistant and features a splash guard coating to protect it against
spills.

Sprint continues to offer its smartphones with unlimited data plans,
starting at $80 a month. Both of its larger competitors, AT&T and Verizon
Wireless,
charge for data in set allotments, which
can now be shared across 10 wireless devices.

The carrier said it recognizes there is a large group of its customers who
want a physical Qwerty keyboard. It has paired the device with international
roaming capabilities for use abroad.

Motorola, owned by Google since May, has plans to reduce the number of
low-priced phones it offers. As part of that effort,
Google announced layoffs of 4,000 workers,
or 20% of its work force. The Photon Q was in development well before Google
purchased Motorola for $12.5 billion.

Matt Hamblen
 covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless
networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at
@matthamblen
 or subscribe to
Hamblen RSS Matt's RSS feed.
His email address is
mhamblen at computerworld.com.

See
more by Matt Hamblen on Computerworld.com.

Read more about Smartphones
 in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.

RELATED MOBILE CONTENT: Discover CITEworld

list of 3 items
 BYOD and Mobile Security Tech Support warms to BYOD App Management and
Mobile Security
list end
Comments
 (#disqus_thread
 )
Print

>From CIO.com
list of 4 items
 Best Google Nexus 7 Apps: 16 Android-Tablet Downloads, All Free 25 Awesome
Gadgets for $50 or Less Is iPad Over-Hyped in the Enterprise? 10 Top Mobile
Application Development Platforms
list end
>From CSO Online
list of 4 items
 The 15 biggest data breaches (so far) ACH fraud: Why criminals love this
con Social media risks: The basics The final 5 tweets of Harold
Wigginbottom,
tech-savvy CEO
list end
Additional Resources
Security KnowledgeVault
WEBCAST
Apps that Add Business Value
Whether you are a seasoned pro at developing apps or have little to no
experience, these simple apps are easy to build, simple to deploy, and
powerful enough
to add tremendous value and productivity to your organization.

View now.

Cut Communications Costs Once and for All
WHITE PAPER
What 150 CIOs Want in an Enterprise Tablet
Gartner predicts that 80% of businesses will support tablets by 2013, yet
CIOs are still concerned about access, management and control. Learn how
BlackBerry
PlayBook was specifically designed to meet CIOs' privacy, security and
device management requirements and see how PlayBook is being deployed in a
wide
range of vertical industries.

Read now.

Top Stories
list of 4 items
 The best tech investment I never made: 4 CIOs' tales  Job cuts renew fears
that Motorola's patents matter most to Google  Microsoft: Asus, Dell
ed and a PC-like five-row QWERTY keyboard, you'll fly through work and get
straight to the fun. Like teaching your friends and family about the
universe above with the Star Chart app on the MOTOROLA PHOTON Q's
ColorBoost™ display.

Sprint 4G LTE network available in limited markets.

Sprint's new network 101.

This is one lesson you're going to love. Sprint is getting an all-new
network! See how our new st