[Electronics-talk] First User Review of Narrator HD Radio

James Aldrich jajkaldrich at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 14:53:58 UTC 2012

Hi Gerald and all,
As I see it, this isn't the venue for discussing the merrit or lack of
merrit of HD Radio or any other sources of radio for that matter!
What I try to do is help people with what they wish to listen to and
get the most out of whether it be satellite radio, HD radio or radio
online.  All of these forms of radio have their advantages and
disadvantages.  If we were on a radio forum or list of some type, we
could go more into this topic!  Broadcasters certainly haven't done
what they could to make HD radio available everywhere!  How can one
evaluate HD radio if little to no content exists!  If you tell me you
haven't fiddled with your satellite radio antenna, I'd call you a
liar!  My discussion dealt more with evaluating the performance of the
radio itself and what one must watch for especially when attempting to
DX.  You will probably listen to a local station when waking up in the
morning.  You no doubt will figure out how to  drape the FM antenna so
it is out of your way!  If tuned to a local station, you shouldn't
have to fiddle with it.

Consider this!  My Sangian HDR1 has one big knob in front.  One pushes
the knob in to turn on the radio.  Once done, this sets the clock if
it isn't set.  It also adjusts the equalization, turns the volume up
or down, tunes stations, places the radio in scan mode, places radio
in memory mode for putting or deleting channels from memory and a host
of other functions.  Thank goodness this radio has a remote!  That is
the only way I can run it! If it didn't have a remote, I would have
sent it back!

I believe the Narrator will be a great improvement over my Sangian
HDR1 when it comes to operating the radio even if everything may not
speak!  I think it is best to learn the radio before coming to any
conclusions!  I'm looking forward to receiving mine!

A final thought!  I can hear radio throughout the world online with my
IPod and this cannot be done with Satellite ?Radio or HD Radio.  I
think all forms of radio have their place!

Jim