[Electronics-talk] New VP of Accessibility [was "Re: Blind Guy gets New Job"]

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 16:45:44 UTC 2012

It isn't just that they hired a blind guy, the created a new position, a
VP for accessibility no less. Companies don't just create VP positions
and pay out VP salaries for window dressing. I believe Tom Wlodkowski
was at AOL when they started taking accessibility seriously with their
original product. I've see him at NFB national conventions and on FS
podcasts. He was at AOL when AIM was kept very accessible and worked
well with JAWS. He was also there when AIM web mail became one of the
first web clients to use ARIA and give you an accessible and desktop
like interaction with a web client. Of course, we all need to take a
wait and see attitude, but I don't see how this can be bad for
accessibility. Maybe the lobbying and legislative activities will make a
difference after all.