[Electronics-talk] whata Siri means

Lauren Merryfield lauren1 at catliness.com
Sat Jul 21 08:04:41 UTC 2012

Hi,
>From The Blaze Magazine:

Technology

iPhone Quiz: What Does Siri Really Mean?

* Posted on March 30, 2012 at 1:15am by Liz KlimasLiz Klimas
<http://www.theblaze.com/blog/author/elizabeth.klimas>
* Print >
* Email >
<mailto:?subject=TheBlaze.com%20-%20iPhone%20Quiz%3A%20What%20Does%20Siri%20
Really%20Mean%3F&body=I%20thought%20you%20would%20like%20this%20story%20from
%20TheBlaze.com%0A%0Ahttp://www.theblaze.com/stories/iphone-quiz-what-does-s
iri-really-mean/>

*
*
*
* Comments (21)
<http://www.theblaze.com/stories/iphone-quiz-what-does-siri-really-mean/#com
ments>

What Siri Really Means and How it Came to Be an Apple Product

Apple's Siri (Image: Apple)

Have you wondered how Apple ever arrived at the name Siri for its
voice-activated personal assistant in iPhones? Ever considered just what
Siri means, but it was never worth your time to actually ask Siri for the
answer to that question?

We can save you the time and tell you now. The short answer is the
Siri stands for Speech Interpretation and Recognition Interface, but there's
a more poetic meaning behind the software's name.

What Siri Really Means and How it Came to Be an Apple Product

(Image via TechCrunch)

TechCrunch reports that Siri
<http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/28/steve-jobs-was-against-the-name-siri-befor
e-he-was-for-it/> , before it became an Apple product, was a company that
developed an app co-founded by Dag Kittlaus. Siri as we know it now was
acquired by Apple in 2010. Kittlaus tells TechCrunch more on the original
meaning of the name he chose when helped create the app and Siri, Inc. in
2007:

Siri means "beautiful woman who leads you to victory" in Norwegian
and Kittlaus owned the siri.com domain. He was planning on naming a child
after said beautiful woman but his first child was a boy. Instead, he named
his product after her.

Once Apple bought the company, Kittlaus was brought into Apple HQ to
speak to Scott Forstall. After a bit of hemming and hawing, he was sent to
meet with Steve Jobs in secret.

"And he wanted me to come over to his house the next day, and I did,
and I spent 3 hours with him in front of his fireplace having this surreal
conversation about the future. And, you know, he talked about why Apple was
going to win, and we talked about how Siri was doing. And he was very
excited about the fact that. You know, he was very interested in this area
in general but, you know, they're patient, they don't jump on anything until
they feel they can go after something new and he felt that we cracked it. So
that was his attraction."

TechCrunch states that Jobs wasn't initially fond of the name Siri
for the product, but he eventually warmed up to it.

Thanks
Lauren

advice from my cats: "meow when you feel like it."
The most basic of all human needs is the need to understand and be
understood. The best way to understand people is to listen to them.
-- Ralph Nichols
Visit us at catliness.com