[Electronics-talk] OCR Scanners

Robert Nelson rsnelson at optushome.com.au
Sun Jun 10 23:06:36 UTC 2012

The kind of scanning you are interested in does not require a resolution of
more than 1200 dots per inch.  Excellent OCR results can be achieved with a
resolution as low as 400 dots per inch.

You might consider the following scanner which is inexpensive, light and
takes it power through the USB connection:

CanoScan LiDE110
Estimated Retail Price $59.99

Specifications

Scanner TypeFlatbed
Scanning ElementContact Image Sensor (CIS)
Light SourceThree-color (RGB) LED

Features

EZ Buttons,
Advanced Z-lid,
Auto Dust & Scratch Reduction,
Auto document Fix,
Auto Scan Mode,
Convenient Filing Function (PDF Function),
Digital Filing,
Fading Correction,
Grain Correction,
Gutter Shadow Correction,
High-speed Scanning,
Low Power Consumption,
One Cable for Data and Power
Scanner ButtonsCopy, Auto Scan, PDF, E-mail

Max. Resolution
Optical Optical
2400 x 4800 dpi 19,200 x 19,200 dpi
Interpolated Interpolated

Scanning ModeColor 48-bit internal/48 or 24-bit external

Grayscale 16-bit internal/8-bit external
OS CompatibilityWindows® 7, Windows Vista® , Windows XP and Mac OS® X
v10.4.11 to v10.63
SoftwareSetup Software & User's Guide CD-ROM
InterfaceHi-Speed USB
Power RequirementsHi-Speed USB
Max. Power Consumption2.5W (1.4 W Standby)
Operating Temperature Operating temperature 41º - 95º F
Operating Humidity Operating humidity 10% - 90% RH
Warranty1-year limited warranty with InstantExchange Program.
1-year toll-free technical phone support
Dimensions (W x D x H)9.9" (W) x 14.6" (D) x 1.6" (H)
Weight3.4 lbs

More details at:
http
//www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/scanners/photo_scanners/canoscan_lide110?pageKeyCode=writeReviewPage