[Electronics-talk] accessible TV shows and how do we fix ourTV's to get the audio?

Jenny Keller jlperdue3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 04:33:45 UTC 2012

I think you're preaching to the coir as I am a member of the National Federation of the Blind.

Being a member of a large group of blind people doesn't make treatment of the disabled equal.

closed captioning for the deaf has been around forever, so has free TTY services and equipment.

It's just taken them till now to get kicked in the butt to get audio description, and it's going to take till 2013 to get it fully running?  You call that equality?

I live in a city with a lot of old buildings down town including old gothic churches, and they, because of the ADA have been forced to add onto their buildings ramps and elevators for those in wheelchairs, but they're gracing us with audio description by 2013, but we have to find someone who can see to flip on the ASAP switches for us because they can't be forced, like the closed captioning, and the elevators and ramps, to make them accessible.

I do get out there and fight for our rights.  I just don't have rose colored glasses, so to speak, on that we'll ever be treated equally by the general public or by the companies who handle cable, satellite, transportation, etc.

Again, you don't know that i'm in the Federation, and you don't know what I do to educate the public on blindness related issues or other issues that I deal with on a daily basis.

Please don't pass judgement or tell me to fight for things I'm already fighting for if you don't know the situation.

Jenny