[Electronics-talk] Accessible HD/FM Radio Announced

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sun May 20 03:19:13 UTC 2012

HD radio is digital radio -- it is hoped it will replace existing
analog radio signals some day.  It can give you very high quality
sound, they characterize it as near CD quality.  It is also less
prone to multipath interference, making it work much better in moving
cars. You need a different radio to pick it up, it uses spaces
between existing analog stations.

Each station has so much space, and they can devote it all to one
high-quality channel, two lesser quality channels, or even more -- up to seven.

It can be harder to tune in these so-called multi-cast channels, in
the sense of knowing they are there, finding them etc.

HD, like satellite radio can also broadcast ansilary info along with
the music, title, artist, album etc.

Part of the space can also be used by a radio reading service to get
to its audience too.

Dave