[Electronics-talk] Accessible HD/FM Radio Announced

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Sun May 20 13:53:18 UTC 2012

Well, it turns out that my skepticism about this radio may be well-founded.
I just perused the instruction manual for this radio, which is in PDF
format, and there is no mention of the blind-accessibility features.  The
radio is menu-driven, and presumably, it has speech to guide blind and
visually impaired users through the menu options, but this is not mentioned
anywhere in the manual.  It is not even clear whether the clock has speech
and can announce the time.  There is supposed to be a quick start guide for
visually impaired users, but there is no link to it from the Support page,
only links to the regular quick start guide in three languages, which also
does not mention anything about the accessibility features.  If we blind
users can't download the special quick start guide that presumably explains
the accessibility features, what good is this radio, anyhow?  Hopefully,
some intrepid techie will buy one of these gizmos, fool arouknd with it and
create a podcast that explains in detail how to set up and use this thing.
Until then, I'll hold onto my money.  No wonder Best Buy is so universally
vilified by consumers and research analysts alike. Can't they do anything
right?

Gerald