[Electronics-talk] labelling audio cables

Louis gosselin_louis at myfairpoint.net
Mon Sep 24 18:30:04 UTC 2012

Evelyn!

What a horrible situation you face!  You must have the control board of a radio
station wired up there!  Do you really have to remove every cable from every
device?  If so, It's going to take you far longer to re-connect everything that
it took to disconnect them.  I hope you already have the various jacks marked,
too, on all those devices. Just stating the obvious, you understand.

Dymo tape really does make the best labels, though, and most of us users don't
use a dymo writer.  Instead, order a dymo slate from the Howe Press for $6 or
$8. Or, check the slates you have already and see if one of them doesn't have
the extra slot at the left and right ends of the second line for inserting and
pulling out the dymo tape. Pull the tape off the roll so that it comes off the
roll from its under-side, insert the tape into the slot on the slate at its
hinge end, and pull it back up through the slot at the right end.  Now, when the
slate is closed, the tape is unrolling off the bottom of the roll, entering the
slate at the left end slot, and coming up through and out of the right end. Now,
you can make your labels in grade 2, In Nemeth, or whatever.  As you fill the
line, just pull the right end of the tape out until another line-full of blank
tape is exposed, and continue writing.  Plan on leaving more than one blank cell
between labels, so that when they are cut apart, enough blank tape remains
through which to punch a hole. Use a standard pliers-style punch you can get at
any office supply store for that. Now you don't have to spend hours trying the
peel the backing off the tape, and the hole is suitable for anything from
thread, to dental floss to shoe laces.  Go to it! And forget about peeling.

If you don't normally use dymo tape, the following might help.  It's usually
available as clear, colored, and I believe as a metallic foil type.  Stick with
the half-inch width varieties, and if you plan to actually stick the tape to a
surface, i.e., you plan to peel off the backing, stick to the clear, uncolored
tape.

Hope I haven't told you a whole lot of stuff you already knew, but if so, I'm
sorry.  Just wanted to help.

Louis Gosselin