[Electronics-talk] GPS in the Big City

Gerald Levy bwaylimited at verizon.net
Wed Apr 10 21:36:15 UTC 2013

As I stated previously, I have some real safety concerns over using the
IPhone as a GPS device.  How is it possible for a blind person to hold an
IPhone to his ear with one hand, use his other hand to swipe the touchscreen
to activate variouls commands while simultaneously scanning with a white
cane?  At least dedicated GPS devices can be worn around the neck to leave
both hands free.  And they have large, tactile buttons that are easy to
locate by touch with one hand , leaving the other hand free to navigate with
a cane.  So even if the IPhone functions as an effective GPS Device, is it
really safe to use for this purpose?  Navigating around a sparse, suburban
or rural setting or a college campus with an IPhone might make sense, but a
crowded, noisy urban environment?  I don't think so.  Just my two Apple
bites,for what they're worth.

Gerald