[Electronics-talk] safari on the PC can you?

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 05:12:11 UTC 2013

It's true I'm not on that list, and I didn't see that response. I'd be
curious to see it though since I'm surprised that's what MS
Accessibility would say. Obviously, one group in MS cannot tell another
group what to do and how another group should spend their resources and
prioritize their issues. Those would have to be business decisions made
by executives. I would expect an accessibility group in MS to be able to
educate and inform other teams on accessibility issues and best
practices on making applications accessible. I would also think they'd
be able to take such issues to executives to try to get decisions
related to lack of accessibility changed.

I still would not call this intentional though. It sounds like MS has an
accessibility group with no teeth, which is probably intentional if
true, but that's different than intentionally making an application
inaccessible. I'm sure Apple knows Safari isn't accessible on Windows,
and they've chosen not to do anything about it for years, which sounds
to me to be just as intentional as anything MS has done.

IMHO, this is the issue you run into when one company controls the OS,
the application and the access technology. Making iTunes accessible
helps Apple sell iPhones, but what's there incentive to make Safari
accessible on Windows? I guess MS would stand to gain some revenue from
selling MS Office licenses to blind people using a Apple device, but how
much money would they stand to gain by doing this versus how much it
would cost? If a blind person needs to use MS Office, say for the
government or their job, they could always use Windows which probably
results in more revenue to MS than does the MS Office licenses they'd
get from blind users on Apple devices.

Methinks this isn't on topic for this list though.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail