[Electronics-talk] Amazon and Sony Are Requesting That The Accessibility Requirement Be Waived for E-Book Readers

Baracco, Andrew W Andrew.Baracco at va.gov
Thu Aug 8 16:46:17 UTC 2013

I agree with the manufacturers on this one. For example, this would only apply to one model of the Kindle, which they call the Paper White. It is designed to do only one thing, and that is to display the contents of a book in digitized text that looks like a printed page. It has no audio capability whatsoever. There is no way that this device could be made accessible except to create a whole new device, which would require a bigger battery, a more powerful processor, and more robust hardware and software. The AC standards would still apply to the more powerful and robust Kindle devices which are the ones that we would want anyway.

Andy