[Electronics-talk] Amazon and Sony Are Requesting ThatThe Accessibility Requirement Be Waived for E-Book Readers

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 15:42:37 UTC 2013

Do you happen to have a link? I've read some pretty detailed articles
posted on list, but I haven't gone searching for the actual text of the
waiver yet.

My big concern is whether Amazon is including the Kindle Fire in their
waiver. From what I've read, I suspect they are. Even if any one thinks
the ereader manufacturers have a point, the Kindle Fire runs Android,
which other manufacturers have shown can be made accessible at little or
no cost. Amazon may not consider the Kindle Fire to be a tablet, and
they may not push it's ACS capabilities, but I think including the
Kindle Fire in the waiver pushes us pretty far down that slipper slope.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail