[Electronics-talk] Miniguide

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 16:39:32 UTC 2013

What exactly did Jim say that was snarky? When I read "... Google is
your friend for questions like this.  I typed in "miniguide blind" and
got good information." I didn't see anything snarky. Are you saying that
he shouldn't have pointed out that you can get answers to questions like
this using Google? He did include what he found by using Google. This is
a two way street, just as people need to be careful how their messages
will be read, others need to be able to receive helpful information
without feeling insulted. Jim took the time to look this up in Google,
posted this tip to the list and answered the question. He did this
without being insulting or condescending, as far as I can tell. In my
opinion, he went above and beyond. I, for example, just deleted the
messages on the topic since I wasn't that interested in this device, and
I wasn't going to look it up for someone else.

I'm also not sure about the statement that this isn't normal behavior.
I'm on a lot of lists unrelated to blindness issues that are much
harsher than anything on this list. Plenty of questions are asked and
answered on this list, including this one. What is abnormal is how thin
skinned some people are. I frequently ask a colleague a question, and
when they remark that they found the answer on Google, I don't get bent
out of shape and think they've been snarky. I just make a note to myself
that I could look it up myself in the future.

On 12/12/2013 10:22 AM, Baracco, Andrew W wrote:
> Yes, the beginning of your message is snarky and over the top. I once had a professor, perhaps more than one, who said that the only stupid questions are the ones that are not asked. Yet, I see so often on these blind oriented lists people being shot down for simply asking a question. And don't say that this is normal behavior, because it is definitely not. In the real world, people ask other people questions all the time, and if the person knows the answer, he usually gives it to them. Many people have difficulty taking risks because they fear being made to feel stupid, and comments like those that appear in Jim's message do nothing to help, and everything to aggravate this situation. Why couldn't you just give the info that you did, without the snarky comment?
>
> Andy

>>> Sarah

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail