[Electronics-talk] Miniguide

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 23:14:49 UTC 2013

Of course these lists are for asking questions. Pointing out that you
can use Google to find an answer to a question isn't the same thing as
telling someone they can't use the list to ask a question. I don't think
we should assume that everyone knows how to use Google and that it can
be a valuable resource when answering such a question.

Google is a fantastic service, and I don't think there's anything wrong
with pointing that out to someone. It may be that no one knows the
answer to the question, or it'll be awhile before the person with the
answer gets around to answering the question, and the person could use
that time to find it on their own with Google. I've seen well meaning
people also pass on erroneous information on a list. They just know what
they know, and things may have changed since they bought a product or
researched an issue themselves. Google will help you find first source
information.

IMHO, these lists are great for things that you won't be able to find
with Google, such as how is the accessibility of a given off the shelf
product. I personally think Google is much more efficient when it comes
to answering a question like how much does that cost, where can I get it
or what is it?

Jim didn't know what this was himself, so he looked it up and passed
that information on to the list. I don't have a problem with him
pointing out that he found the information himself using Google. I
really don't see why someone saying "Google is your friend" considered
so snarky. I'll frequently look something up myself if I'm interested
and answer a question on a list, similar to what Jim did. This
discussion though will give me pause on how trying to help someone will
be perceived.

On 12/12/2013 04:58 PM, Snow White Dove wrote:
>   I don't want to seem snarky either,
> But what are these emails list for if you can't ask questions and get answers.
> If I had a question and I wanted to look at Google I wouldn't be on the mailing list now what I.
> Jenny
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Dec 11, 2013, at 5:24 PM, Jim Barbour <jbar at barcore.com> wrote:
>>
>> I really don't want to seem snarky, but Google is your friend for
>> questions like this.  I typed in "miniguide blind" and got good
>> information.
>>
>> http://www.senderogroup.com/products/shopminiguide.htm
>>
>> The short version is...
>>
>> Detect obstacles in the palm of your hand with the 2 ounce ultrasonic
>> Miniguide.
>>
>> Augment information from other mobility aids, like the cane or dog
>> guide,with obstacle-detection by the Miniguide from 1.5 to 26 feet.
>>
>> The Miniguide is 3 inches long, 1.4 inches wide and .75 inches thick
>> including the single 123A battery. Two sensors covered by mesh at the
>> front of the unit send and receive the detection signals. Durable
>> plastic casing covers the rest of the unit.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>>> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 05:16:02PM -0600, Snow White Dove wrote:
>>> I’m sorry if I sound ignorant, but what is a mini guide?
>>>
>>> I’ve never heard of it before.
>>>
>>> Could someone give me some info on it.  It can be short and sweet and it can even be off list if necessary or preferable.
>>>
>>> Thanks for understanding my ignorance about electronics of that sort.
>>>
>>> Jenny

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail