[Electronics-talk] Accessible Electric Ranges

Annely Rose annely53r at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 26 23:22:18 UTC 2013

I have been following this line and would like to offer some information.  I contacted GE, 800-626-2000, and was told that their electric range models with dial temperature knobs can be made accessible.  The woman said that the oven temperture knob can be marked with rivets: 2 at 200, 3 at 300, 4 at 400, and 5 at 500.  A line is placed at the OFF setting.  She also said the newer microwave models with the digital panels have braille overlays available where you can peel off the corresponding braille label and place it on the display.  I tried to check out Whirlpool, but their customer service people aren't available on weekends.  Their number is 866-698-2538.

I had a Whirlpool electric range 13 years ago and it had a flat digital panel for the oven.  I took some clear packing tape and had my son cut out pieces:  a large rectangular piece for BAKE, a skinny rectangular piece for the BROIL, and triangular pieces for the UP ARROW and DOWN ARROW.  Those markers lasted for the 5 years we lived in that house.   I didn't use the clock or the timer so I didn't mark them.  The rest of the appliances were also Whirlpool and I was fortunate to get braille overlays for the microwave, washer, and dryer.  I couldn't reach Whirlpool today, so I don't know if they still do this.

6 years ago I had bought a GE washer from Best Buy where you could feel the knotches at the beginning of the cycles and the rinse settings on the timer knob.  Of course, you had to know the cycles, but that was no problem.  I had read about this type of washer in the NFB Appliance Guide that was available then.  I still have that washer and won't part with it.

I guess there are so  many models of appliances on the market that you really have to do some research and go to your local stores to see what is available.  Home Depot and Lowe's also carry some bump dots that are used for furniture or cabinet protection that may be used on appliances, but you have to go and check them out.  Or, you can order them from the different aids/appliance catalogs.  They will have the smaller ones.  If you have a slate and stylus with an extra slot at either end of the second row, yu can make braille labels with Dymo tape.  That slot is used to hold the labeling tape.  Good luck.  It's not an easy task to find these appliances.